Hey Mom’s out there! You know I’m all about healthy food and feeling great. Giving our babies a balanced and healthy diet is a great way to give them a head start as they grow!
What’s the deal with iron in our diets? Iron helps our bodies create and maintain strong red blood cells-why is this important? Red blood cells carry oxygen to your babies muscles and organs. Plus healthy red blood cells help your baby’s brain develop normally, considering a baby’s brain DOUBLES in size in the first year I’d say that’s pretty important!
- Iron Fortified Baby Cereal like Gerber® cereals provide %90 of your babies daily iron goals in just 2 servings! Bailey loves her Gerber® Organic Oatmeal Cereal.
- Eat your veggies – spinach, kale, green peas and broccoli are some of the veggies that are high in iron. Have a picky eater? Mix them with fruits and different fortified baby cereal.
- Legumes are awesome – kidney beans, chick peas and black beans are also high in iron and a great way to make sure your baby is getting a balanced and healthy diet.
- Chicken and egg yolk – my baby isn’t eating these foods yet but if your baby is getting them in their diet it’s another great source of iron.
I do most of my shopping at my local Target. Target has tons of great options for baby cereal and not only do they have great prices they have the Cartwheel app! HELLO!!! I love the Cartwheel app for everyday stuff but especially to save on my babies Gerber® cereal. I save %10 using the app for Bailey’s food! Everything is conviently located in one spot, the infant cereal as well as solid food blends too. Target has little reminder tags on the shelf letting me know I can save extra money using the free Cartwheel app. Honestly I use it all the time! I don’t have to print anything or have a special link to save. The coupons are added to my list on the app and it’s scanned at check out. If you don’t have this app already then get it! You will not be disapointed.
How we get our daily iron
We all want our babies to get the best diet and nutrition possible right? For my family breakfast is so important. Not only does it give us a time to talk and eat good food but it ensures a strong, healthy start to our day. Bailey has Gerber® Organic Oatmeal Cereal every morning. Gerber® Single Grain Infant Cereals are a great first food when introducing your baby to solids. Gerber® offers single, multi-grain and even organic options in baby cereal. All of which are full of iron and in just 2 servings your baby is getting %90 percent of the recommended iron they need.
Tips for fun meal time with baby
- No-Mess! Seriously why are babies so interested in getting food everywhere! Don’t panic! When first introducing your baby to solids it can get messy. I place a towel on the floor under Bailey’s high chair so I can keep my floors clean and keep my sanity. Putting a mat, towel, or placing your baby in an easy to clean area will make cleaning much easier.
- Have fun! Babies love new sounds, colors and just interacting with us and the world around them. I like to make up silly songs and make funny faces to get Bailey excited for each bite. (sometimes she just spits it out and laughs and that’s ok too)
- Feeding can be a blast. I love to watch Bailey try to feed herself, I get spoons and bowls in bright colors to encourage her to try to do it herself. Not much of the food makes it to her mouth but she needs to figure it out somehow right!
- Simple rewards. When my daughter takes a bite I show her my enthusiasm. I clap for her and do what ever silly thing she is into at the moment to encourage her to eat more!
I know this post is about iron and why its so important to your growing baby but I wanted to tell you why I choose this particular cereal. I love organic options for myself and especially my baby. It’s hard to choose with so many options out there but when Gerber® starting carring the Organic line I was all over it. Non GMO, Gerber® doesn’t use genetically motified ingredients in there infant cereals! Nothing artificial – No artificial colors or presertives are in my babies food! Parenting win for sure! Not only does this cereal give my baby the iron she needs but it’s full of calcium, zinc, vitamins C and over B vitamins essential to babies growth.